Douglas County Historical Society
1219 Nokomis St
Alexandria, MN 56308
Phone: 320-762-0382

Runestone Museum


Since its founding in 1958, the Runestone Museum has been dedicated to preserving the history and heritage of Douglas Counties and its communities and the people who make this area their home. The museum’s namesake is the Kensington Runestone, a 202-pound stone containing a runic inscription telling of a Norse crusade to Minnesota in 1362.

Though the stone is the centerpiece of the museum, it is but one of the thousands of artifacts in the collection that create educational and entertaining exhibits for visitors.

Contact the museum at (320) 763-3160 for more information or visit